APICS CLTD (Certified in Logistics, Transportation and Distribution) is the training program that sets the standard for logistics certification. In the next few years, there is a shortage of trained professionals in the field of logistics, transportation, and distribution. APICS CLTD meets the growing need for professionals to apply innovative concepts in their supply chains. These innovations are necessary for organizations that want to take advantage of the rapid developments in transportation and distribution. This is due to further internationalization and the booming online sales.
The APICS CLTD training is designed for professionals who are responsible for the management of the processes of transportation and distribution. This can be for example:
- Logistics managers/engineers
- Supply chain logistics managers
- Traffic managers
- Transportation/fleet managers
- Warehouse operations/distribution managers
- Reverse logistics managers
The program allows the employee to:
- design a logistic system in line with the supply chain strategy of the organization
- make integral trade-offs with respect to the delivery performance, inventory levels and the mobilization of logistics capacity
- conduct an analysis of the costs and benefits of policy alternatives
- give advice on possibilities to shorten the logistics processes
- provide an opinion on the effectiveness of processes based on performance indicators
- indicate how IT can be used to realize logistics goals
- make risk assessments based on the understanding/insight of cost patterns
To be allowed to take the CLTD exam, a participant must meet one of the following criteria:
- a bachelors degree in higher education or university level or
- CPIM, CSCP, CTL, CFPIM, CIRM, SCOR-P, C.P.M., CSM or CPSM designations or
- a minimum 3 years’ related business experience.
English reading skills are required as the material and the multiple choice questions on the exam are in English.
The program consists of 8 modules and is examined with a single exam. The course focuses on the design of the logistics network and how it can be adapted to the developments in the internal and external environment. Based on this design, attention is paid to how managers should control processes such as order management, transportation, warehousing, and reverse logistics. For a calculation needed for logistics capacity, forecasting will be explored. For the various processes, methods are discussed for the optimal use of logistical capacity. During the course, aspects of international logistics will be discussed with topics such as Incoterms, duties, taxes, and differences in legislation and regulations. The course also addresses determining the optimal use of modes of transportation to meet the organizational and logistical goals.
Please find below an overview of the modules:
Module 1: Logistics and Supply Chain Overview
- Managing logistics as a cohesive system
- Understanding trade-offs to present a logistics strategy that aligns with the organizational strategy
- Finding the most effective mix of revenue producing services for the cost of providing that service
- Developing strong relationships across the supply chain
- Designing key performance indicators to encourage desired behaviors
- Using continuous improvement to exceed customer expectations
Module 2: Capacity Planning and Demand Management
- Understanding the concepts behind forecasting and its application to logistics decisions
- Creating efficient forecasts to better align supply with demand
- Translating demand information into high-level capacity plans for warehousing and transportation
- Collaborating between procurement and logistics
- Understanding key processes, including S&OP, MPS, MRP and DRP
- Delivering customer service at a consistent level
Module 3: Order Management
- Planning, designing and controlling processes which manage and execute customers orders
- Implementing a customer relationship management (CRM) process
- Understanding key logistics systems, such as EDI and TMS to enable visibility throughout the order process
- Tracking and measuring supplier and carrier performance to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Managing relationships with the supply chain partners
- Developing a customer service management strategy
- Enhancing long-term customer satisfaction and creating lifetime customers
Module 4: Inventory and Warehouse Management
- Maintaining inventory levels to align with the business strategy and goals, supporting the coordination of supply and demand, while protecting inventory value
- Creating an inventory management strategy that meets competing goals of minimizing inventory costs and maximizing customer service
- Managing the movement of materials and goods into and out of storage efficiently, safely, and with minimal inventory damage
- Adapting to new distribution channels and customer expectations by creating new processes that deliver the desired results
- Implementing efficient and effective warehouse processes, while utilizing appropriate warehouse technology
- Using appropriate packaging to promote safe and efficient materials handling during storage and transportation
Module 5: Transportation
- Understanding transportation fundamentals, including key stakeholders, intermediaries, and carriers involved in transporting product from origin to destination
- Understanding the characteristics of the different transportation modes to make appropriate selections based on speed, availability, dependability, capability, frequency, and cost
- Moving goods and services throughout a firm’s supply chain, between where products are produced and where they are consumed while allowing for competitive growth
- Effectively manage the entire transportation process—from long-range strategies and operational planning to day-to-day execution
- Utilizing transportation technology to manage and control visibility and communication between multiple stakeholders and transportation managers
Module 6: Global Logistics Considerations
- Identifying macro-environmental factors of global logistics that impact countries and organizations around the world to better manage logistics service providers, related transportation costs, and substitute product offerings
- Working knowledge of international trade theories and practices, including trade agreements and trading blocs
- Understanding the infrastructure, systems, and regulations of the countries to which goods are imported/exported
- Understanding customs clearing and documentation requirements for each shipment as dictated by each country and transportation mode used
- Preparing all required documentation needed to ensure shipments arrive safely, securely, without damage, and on time at their final designation
- Using the Harmonized System Classification codes to properly specify the goods for export and dictate the corresponding tariff rates charged
- Identifying which financing and payment options are most appropriate and amenable to the parties involved
- Deciding what currency will be most appropriate for global trade participants, balancing levels of risk exposure between buyers and sellers
Module 7: Logistics Network Design
- Designing the network of warehouses and transportation lanes to enable supply to be provided at the place and time of demand
- Analyzing transportation and distribution requirements, while understanding key tradeoffs, to assist in planning and deployment of network
- Using decision support tools to determine the optimal number, location, and type of warehouse facilities
- Employing modeling techniques to help find the right balance among competing needs of involved stakeholders
- Implementing risk management strategies to minimize uncertainty and provide more reliable organizational results
- Creating prevention and mitigation plans, as well as providing business continuity if a risk event occurs
Module 8: Reverse Logistics and Sustainability
- Developing a comprehensive reverse logistics strategy
- Recommending whether the reverse logistics strategy can be handled internally by creating a central returns center or by hiring a third-party provider to coordinate the activities
- Managing product returns in ways that turn the reverse flows into quantifiable value streams, to contribute to profitability and strengthen commitment to sustainability and social responsibility
- Demonstrating social responsibility that is valued by customers, shareholders, and the community, to help the organization be a good environmental steward for the long-term
- Implementing sustainability initiatives to impact the organization’s triple bottom line (TBL)
- Choosing suppliers and other supply chain members according to the organization’s commitment to implement sustainable processes and practices
Besides the classroom courses, it is also possible to follow the course as e-learning, self-study or in-company.
- Class: APICS CLTD courses are given as day or evening courses. The course always takes place at the same location and day of the week. In the course, an APICS trained instructor teaches his knowledge using practical examples (from students and instructor). The instructor has followed a specific training that taught how they can transfer their knowledge in the best way. Because of the interactive approach with their fellow students and the by APICS recommended number of study hours Visie Partners ensures informative course evenings. The students also have access to the Visie Partners online learning system. All of this results in a high passing rate.
- Online classroom: We also offer APICS CLTD as an online classroom variant. The same quality as in a physical class, but you can participate from everywhere like, the office, home or on a business trip. More information about “online classrooms”.
- E-learning (blended learning): you can determine your own planning and the contact moments are personally guided with one of our experienced and recognized teachers. Contact can be established using e-mail, web conference-software or a phone. You can start and finish your course at your preferred time.
- Self-study: with self-study, you study the available learning materials and you have access to the online learning environment. There's no contact with the teacher. You can start at any time.
- In company: When a company has a sufficient number of participants, it is also possible to take this course as an in-company training. This saves time and travel costs and we can also offer an in company course at a reduced price per participant. Special emphasis can be placed on elements of the training that are important to the company. You can contact us for a tailor-made offer.
The participant studies the subject prior to the session and can make questions in the online learning environment. Through the learning environment, the teacher can monitor the progress of the participants. As a result, problems they may encounter can be discussed. Insights from practice are used in the preparation of the course, in addition to the course material. There is plenty of room for personal input and discussion. The course is given in English and ends with an exam training.
During the course the official and most recent English course material is used:
- APICS CLTD learning system
- APICS CLTD student slides
APICS online learning system:
- Online exam questions and module specific tests
- Online glossary
- Concept tests (e-flashcards)
- Online study guide
- APICS CLTD practice exams and reports to be able to analyze the results
- Download course books for e-reader or tablet
- Study planning tool based on a knowledge test
- App: online dictionary
Online learning environment Visie Partners. Visie Partners has developed its own online learning environment. With this unique learning environment, Visie Partners offers online study opportunities with background information and practice questions. These extra exercises provide insight to the participant and teacher into the study progress. This online learning environment is available for both the e-learning participants and for participants who attend course sessions.
The APICS CLTD courses are given at various locations in the Netherlands. The training course consists of 10 three-hour evening classes.
Course schedules and locations:
The next opportunities to follow the CLTD are listed below.
Wednesday 2 December 2020
from 19.00 - 22.00
Full course schedule
Amsterdam CLTD DAY course
Friday 14 May 2021
from 9.30 - 16.45
Full course schedule
The study time of APICS CLTD will be between 90 and 140 hours. The study time varies on the experience and training of each participant. The study effort will consist of the following:
- Day course (approx. 7 hours) or evening course (3 hours)
- Preparation course meeting (approx. 5 - 10 hours)
- Exam preparation
The costs of the course are mentioned below and include course materials, online learning environments, exam training, and coffee/tea. The daytime course includes lunch.
10 evening sessions or 5 day sessions
3 contact moments + e-mail contact
Exam: € 560,- per exam, APICS members pay: € 480,-. APICS membership costs € 185,-.
In certain circumstances, both the costs of the course and the exam fees are tax-deductible for the employer or the participant. Please contact your tax consultant for more information or check www.belastingdienst.nl.
Our general terms and conditions apply. All prices mentioned are excluding VAT. We reserve the right to change the course and exam fees, as long as no agreement has been reached.
Exam and maintenance
After passing the APICS CLTD exam, you receive the official certificate and are officially certified for 5 years. You then have the right to use the name of the course as a title behind your name. The certificate can be extended by 5 years if the student maintains the acquired knowledge. Examples to do this are organizing or attending supply chain related activities or participating in courses.
We offer certified professionals that have obtained their certificate via Visie Partners the opportunity to earn maintenance points for maintaining their title. Customers of Visie Partners have the opportunity to take part in company visits and network meetings related to operations- or supply chain management. No membership is required for this.
Participants can register for the exam via www.apics-exam.eu. On this website, all exam prices and information about the exam registration procedure can be found.
Participants who have actively participated in the course but do not take an exam can be given a certificate of participation on request. An administration fee will be charged.